Enjoying Longer-Lasting Spray Tanning Results
Bronzed skin with a golden glow is a desirable trait for many men and women in the United States, and we aren’t surprised because there’s something beautiful about it. But getting bronzed skin by baking under the sun isn’t such as smart way to go about it because of the increased risk of skin cancer, among others.
The best solution: Professional spray tanning your nearest Beach Bum Tanning location! Here, you can choose from a wide range of indoor tanning services including airbrush tanning where hypoallergenic vegan tanning solutions are applied on your skin. You can also choose sunless booths and sunbeds equipped with high-pressure tanners, cooling fans, and aromatherapy services.
While walk-in clients are accepted in tanning salons, clients are well-advised to remember a few things that will allow them to get the most out of their spray tanning session. Here are a few of the most important tips that you should also remember.
Prepare Before Hitting the Salon
We’re not talking about mental preparations – there are none since spray tanning services aren’t akin to cosmetic surgery – but about preparing your skin for the spray tanning solution. The better your skin condition is, the better your results will be and that includes a longer-lasting tan, possibly even lasting for more than a week.
First, you have to exfoliate your skin every day for at least three days before your spray tanning appointment. You should exfoliate, too, about eight hours before the appointment. The reason: Your skin will be smoother – less dead and dry skin cells – so the spray tanning solution can be applied more smoothly and last longer, too.
Second, you have to ensure that waxing will be completed at least 24 hours before your appointment. Doing so will also prevent the so-called dark pore look, especially on your bikini area.
Third, you should take a shower or a bath eight hours before the spray tanning application. This will allow your skin to have a good pH level for the spray tan solution to develop well, not to mention that you will be unable to shower so soon after its application.
But don’t apply heavy body lotions and face moisturizers on the day of your treatment; otherwise, the spray tanning solution will become lighter in color once applied. Don’t apply deodorant and foundation, too, before your appointment; eye makeup may be okay but it depends on the tanning solution used.
When in doubt about the necessary preparations, ask the tanning technician about them.
Wear the Right Clothes
Even if loose T-shirt dresses aren’t your personal preferences, you will find that these are among the best options when going for your tanning appointment. You should also reconsider wearing a bra or similar clothing items since these can leave unsightly lines on your now-tanned body.
Paper panties are best, too, after your treatment. You should wear them for a few hours until the tanning solution has settled well on your skin.
In terms of shoes, which are trickier to choose, you can wear flip-flops since these will affect the tan less than, say, sandals and running shoes. But don’t worry if your preferred shoes result in strap lines since you can exfoliate your feet when you get home – it will make the color more even, not to mention that the tan on your feet isn’t as noticeable as on other parts of your body.
Follow the Post-treatment Instructions
With the time and money spent on a spray tanning session, you should take the necessary steps to make its results last longer and it starts with following the post-treatment instructions.
- Shower only when the recommended time has passed; your tanning technician will tell you about it. For a quicker-developing solution, for example, you can shower a few hours after its application.
- Use lukewarm – neither cold nor hot – water for your first shower after your tanning session. Shower gels should be avoided, too, since their moisturizing ingredients can decrease the longevity of the tanning solution.
- Use a moisturizer. Just keep in mind that while moisturizing your skin can make your tan last longer, it can also degrade it. The trick is in using a basic lotion – no oil-based lotions, please – and to apply it either in the shower or as soon as you get out of it.
- Use the right product for your face and hands. You can also use a moisturizer with a primer that will give your face an instant bronze sheer look; this will eventually develop into a base tan that can last for several days.
- Lightly exfoliate your skin after a tan so that it fades evenly, as well as prevent blotchiness on your skin. You won’t rub away the tanning solution but it’s best to use a gentle exfoliating product; oatmeal scrubs and salt scrubs aren’t recommended because of their harsh effect.
And be sure to go for your professional tanning session two days before a big event, such as a wedding or a beach party. Your tan will then settle better and you can address areas that need retouching.