While professionally done nail tips and polish may look wonderful they are extremely damaging to your natural nails. Acrylics, gel and glue on tips keep your natural nail from breathing, can trap bacteria and will leave your nails extremely damaged and weak.
- Think about when you’ve broken a bone and worn a cast. While the cast protected and helped the healing it also provided support that allowed your muscles to weaken. This is essentially what false nails do to your natural nail, they protect them from breakage and allow them to grow, but also allow them to become weak and flimsy. When false nails are removed the natural nail often has ridges and lines, are paper thin and very easy to tear.
- The procedure for applying acrylics is also damaging to your natural nail as powerful files are used to rough up the surface of your nail so that the acrylic and glue will adhere. This damages several layers of your nail, and then with the acrylic applied your nail can’t get air and absorb nutrients through the surface to repair and strengthen itself.
- It can take several months for the natural nail to grow out enough to regain full strength and health after false nails are removed. Pure acetone nail polish remover can be very damaging to your natural nails as well. Choose a conditioned remover and be sure to wash your hands and nails thoroughly after removing nail polish. Polish remover can be very drying to both your nails and the skin around them.
- Metal files are the devil! I cannot stress this enough. The rough metal files will chew up the ends of your fingernails and can cause splitting and other damage. Never, ever use metal files to shape your nails. Emery boards are your best choice.
Other people’s nail implements can be dangerous to use. Germs and bacteria can be spread by using someone else’s nail tools. Carry a small manicure kit with you at all times to avoid this situation.
- Old dry nail polish is not just hard to use it can also harbor bacteria and cause infection. Get rid of nail polish that has been used when you have an infection or fungal problem immediately. Dispose of old nail polish when it becomes thick and hard to work with or starts creating air bubbles when you use it.
- Never sacrifice your health for the sake of beauty. Unpainted nails will look a sight better than infected painted nails. Cuticle remover creams can cause sores, burning and leave an unsightly mess around your nails instead of smooth, healthy skin. Moisturize and trim your cuticles rather than trying to remove them with chemical creams.
To put it simply there are things that you will do by accident that can harm your nails, there are bad habits you may have that will harm your nails, but the products and tools you choose for your nails should not cause harm. Make wise choices to keep your nails healthy, strong and beautiful.
How to Care for your Nails
Caring for your nails will not only improve the looks of your hands, but also helps you remain healthy and hygienic. Here are several tips to help you out:
- Long nails are a big no-no – It’s important that you trim your nails. Cut them when they appear extremely long for you. Untrimmed nails can get caught on things. Worse, it can even scratch things or your lovely face and skin.
- Special care for your toenails – It’s a must to ensure your toenails have a straight cut. It should not be curved. Inappropriate cutting would result to toe injuries. In addition, ill-fitting shoes or boots may result in splitting up your toenails in minute pieces up at the corners. Ingrown nails could also aggravate this problem.
- Learn to follow a good dietary regime for nails – Remember that fragile nails could be due to deficiency in iron. Also, foodstuffs that are abundant in iron should be consumed. The following are examples of such food items:
- Dry fruits
- Egg yolk
- Green spinach
- Whole grain
- Soy products
According to experts like the nail specialists at Sport Clips Salon, beetroot is usually packed with more calcium and vitamin D that is extremely effective in supplementing healthy nail growth. Daily consumption of beetroots is akin to make your finger nails exceedingly healthy and sturdy.
- Tricks and remedies – You could utilize some remedies and tricks so as to effectively clean your nails as well as remove the stains. Another trick is to squeeze one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon in a cup of water. Dip all your toenails or fingernails in the solution. Do this for at least a couple of minutes.
Afterwards, clean your nails with hot water. Use a moisturizer. It’s a helpful nail care treatment which can eliminate the stains on your nails.