Science says that your scent can prove to be attractive and memorable to others. This is why more and more people are becoming obsessed with having a signature scent as it becomes a part of their identity.
While there’s nothing wrong to want people to remember you every time they get a whiff of sandalwood, lavender, or roses, it’s also very easy to go overboard when wearing perfume. Some people are guilty of drenching themselves of their scent of choice. This might seem like a good way to ensure that people will notice your good smell but it can also come off as a sensory attack on some folks.
Why You Should Consider Toning Down Your Perfume Application
For lots of people, the entire point of wearing perfume is for others to know that they are wearing a fragrance. Lots of these products are considered as luxury goods and are even offered by designer brands, so it’s just natural that you want others to appreciate your special scent.
There’s a tendency for lots of people to overdo their perfume application, though. Some people want to make sure that others will get a good whiff of their smell. As a result, they tend to spray a lot of perfume on themselves which can get overwhelming for others.
This may seem like a harmless habit, but in reality, it can have a lot of impact on how people perceive and interact with you. If you smell too strongly, lots of folks will choose to stay away from you. You might also receive a different treatment from peers.
Wearing lots of perfume can also be harmful to your health. Aside from desensitizing your sense of smell, you can also develop an allergy to fragrance and other components of the perfume. It can also be harmful to other folks as it can lead to irritations, migraines, allergic attacks, and sensory desensitization.
These are just a few of the best reasons why you should seriously consider cutting down your perfume use. It’s not just about being considerate but it can also have a negative impact on your health, so you should be more conscious about how much perfume you’re wearing.
Are You Wearing Too Much Perfume?
How do you know if you’re wearing too much perfume? There are actually lots of ways to tell if your perfume is offending other people. Here are two easy and effective techniques that you can try, though:
- Spray your perfume as you usually do.
- Wait for five minutes.
- Grab a tissue.
- Put the tissue where you sprayed a good amount of perfume.
- If it sticks, it’s a good sign that you put on perfume with a heavy hand.
- Grab a friend.
- Go to a different room and spray your perfume once.
- Wait for a few seconds then go to your friend and ask them how strong your perfume smells.
- If they can’t smell you while you’re across the room, that’s okay. That’s actually a good sign. Move closer until they start to get a whiff of your perfume. If they only get to notice your scent after sitting next to you, it means that you’re not wearing an overwhelming amount of perfume. If they can already smell you while they’re still a few feet away, it means that you’re wearing too much perfume.
How to Make Sure You’re Not Wearing Too Much Perfume
If you want to make sure that you won’t make the mistake of putting on too much fragrance, here are a few techniques that you can try:
- Avoid strong scents. If the perfume of your choice is already strong to begin with, it’s easier to go overboard with it.
- Spray strategically. Science has proven that it’s best to apply perfume on select points of your body so you can maximize their effects. Experts suggest applying them on the pulse points on your wrists, neck, and even the crooks of your elbows. The slight vibrations of your skin on these areas tend to diffuse the scent in short and frequent bursts, ensuring that those near you will catch a whiff.
- Do the spray, delay, walk away technique. To really make sure that you won’t apply perfume with a heavy hand, don’t spray it directly onto your skin. Instead, spray a few spritzes into the air, wait for a second, and then step through it. This will still ensure that the scent will stick to you but will do so lightly and will be distributed on your body evenly. It will also result to a lighter application, preventing you from overwhelming the people around you with your favorite scent.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you’re wearing a Giorgio Armani, Versace, or Bvlgari scent. If you apply it with a very heavy hand, no one else will appreciate the smell. It’s going to be a waste of perfume, really, and might even cause people to avoid you.