Finding a hair care routine that works for you can seem a little daunting. If you get regular hair treatments at salons like Famous Hair, then they’ve probably told you to take care of your mane. But how do you do that exactly?
First, you need to know what type of hair you have. Hair type can be any of the following:
Then you also need to take into consideration whether your hair has come in contact with any chemical such as hair dye. People with dyed hair should not shampoo their hair daily to prevent color fading. Moreover, those who have bleached their hair will need to apply some nourishment such as a hair mask every week or so.
Another consideration is how you want to wear your hair on a regular basis. If you have straight hair, do you want to keep it down or curl it? If you have curly or wavy hair, do you want to straighten it for work?
Your hair type and concerns can affect your hair care routine but these basic tips should help you keep your hair healthy, shiny and strong:
1. Cleanse your hair.
Cleansing is needed to remove product residue and dead skin cells. If you don’t properly wash your hair, there will be sebum buildup making your hair oily. It also prevents your skin from renewing itself if the dead cells aren’t removed.
2. Use a good quality hair conditioner.
Conditioners can moisturize the hair and scalp, and at the same time prevents tangling, maintains shininess, and helps with frizz reduction. Conditioner coats the strands of hair to replenish the moisture that may have been removed with your shampoo.
3. Consider other hair care products and tools. These include:
Hydrating product – This is especially useful for kinky hair that tends to be dry. It locks in moisture and seals it.
Detangler – This tool (often a wide tooth comb) is useful to prevent hair breakage and it also makes your life so much easier.
Spot treatment – This would depend on what particular issue is bothering you. If your hair is frizzy, you can apply a protein serum or cream. If your hair is dry, you can apply a nourishing cream.
Cleansing and Conditioning
You’ll need the following to properly do this 2-step process:
- Daily shampoo – Contrary to its name you don’t need to use shampoo daily but you do need to wash your hair with shampoo a few times a week.
- Clarifying shampoo – This should only be used once a month since this deep-working clarifying shampoo can remove natural oils in your hair and scalp.
- Daily conditioner. You’ll need to use this every after shampooing. Apply to the middle and ends of the hair. Avoid the roots so that your hair won’t look greasy.
- Leave-in conditioner. This one doesn’t need to be rinsed out and it’s used more to increase hair nourishment.
- Deep conditioner. These conditioners need to be left in the hair for at least 10-30 minutes and you can use it once a week.
You can face various challenges in maintaining your hair. You’ll likely need a few of the following:
- Exfoliating scalp treatment – this should be used 1-2x per month. It can unclog hair follicles, boost circulation for growth and prevent itchiness.
- Protein treatment – If you have frizzy hair you may need supplemental protein once a month to fill in the cuticle gaps as well as strengthen your hair strands.
Targeted mask – These hair masks are infused with specific ingredients and they need to be left on your hair for 10-20 minutes to deeply replenish the hair and prevent dryness, split ends and frizz.