Aloe vera has long been used for many purposes including taking care of the hair and skin. The gel is high in vitamins C and E both of which are great for the skin. It also aids in keeping the hair moisturized and well hydrated.
Aloe vera has long held an important place in the world of haircare. The plant looks like a green cactus but don’t be deceived by it because it’s a million dollar industry.
If you have aloe vera in your garden or if you’re planning to buy some in your local market, all you need is one leaf, scoop out the gel and then use it on your hair daily. Its leaves contain a clear gel made up of mostly water (96%), a type of protein containing 18 amino acids along with Vitamin A, B, C and E.
An important element present in aloe vera gel is acemannan, a complex carbohydrate that allows nutrients to get absorbed on a cellular level so as to nourish them and eliminate toxins.
The following are the main benefits of aloe vera for your hair:
1. Aloe vera can soothe itchy scalp.
Dandruff makes the scalp itchy and flaky. You can treat it with aloe vera as it has been found to help with inflammation in the calp.
2. It deep cleans oily hair.
Aloe vera gets rid of excess sebum by cleansing the hair shaft. Unlike chemical shampoos it doesn’t harm the strands of your hair and will instead preserve its integrity.
3. Aloe repairs hair strands.
Aloe vera contains essential vitamins and nutrients that aid in proper cell turnover promoting shiny and healthy hair. Moreover, it also has Vitamin B12 and folic acid which prevents hair fall.
4. It promotes hair growth.
When the hair scalp has been cleansed and the strands strengthened, this aids in blood circulation which helps with hair growth. Moreover, it also makes hair thicker since it prevents hair fall.
Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Aloe vera has moisturizing and nourishing properties which make it popular as a hair care and hair treatment. Studies show it may help prevent dandruff and promote a healthier mane.
Basically, a hair mask is a leave-in hair treatment which you place in your hair for a longer period of time, with the aim of healing and repair.
Here are the steps for making your very own aloe vera hair mask:
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of aloe and 1 tablespoon coconut oi. Stir the aloe and oil to form a smooth paste.
- Then gently apply on your hair using your fingers. You may want to divide the hair into sections so that you can apply the mixture evenly.
- Start at the scalp and then the mid-shaft until you are on the ends of your hair.
- Comb your hair after you are done applying the mixture and then wrap a towel or plastic wrap on your hair.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once time has lapsed, rinse the mask completely and then apply your normal conditioner.